Common Orthodontic Problems
Orthodontic problems can happen to anyone. They can be caused by many factors, including genetics, thumb sucking, early or late loss of baby teeth, trauma to the gums or teeth, and dental disease. However, you should know that you don’t have to live with these issues just because they’re common. There are a variety of treatment options available in New Orleans.
The Importance of Treating Orthodontic Problems
Some problems can lead to complications later on. Crowding, for example, can make it hard to clean between teeth. Over time, this issue can lead to cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, and a misaligned bite. If tartar and plaque enter under the gumline, overall health can be impacted.
The most common problems orthodontists include:
- Crooked teeth: Many patients come to orthodontists’ offices with crooked teeth in New Orleans. Crooked teeth do not grow straight, which can affect a patient’s appearance and self-esteem. In some cases, crooked teeth can also impact chewing and digestion.
- Teeth spaced far apart: Teeth with significant gaps can shake confidence, and some patients want this problem fixed for cosmetic reasons.
- Crowding: If your teeth are crowded, a New Orleans orthodontist can suggest braces and other treatment options to space your teeth correctly. Crowded teeth can make it harder to maintain proper hygiene and lead to tooth decay and gum disease. In some cases, crowding can require extractions.
- Overbite: An overbite, sometimes called a closed bite or a deep bite, occurs when the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth. For some patients, this issue can cause damage to the gum, recessed gums, and even gum disease, as well as damage to the enamel of the teeth.
- Underbite: An underbite occurs when the bottom teeth overlap with the upper teeth. In severe cases, the teeth can contact the gums, causing recession of the gums, injury, and even gum disease.
- Open bite: In an open bite, the front teeth do not touch when the mouth is closed. This condition can be caused by crooked or protruding teeth. In some cases, it can be caused by children sucking their thumbs at a late age. An open bite can make it harder to chew correctly, and in severe cases, it can also cause difficulties with speech.
How We Can Help
If you think you may be suffering from orthodontic problems in New Orleans, Dr. Murphy and the rest of the team at Murphy Orthodontics can help with a thorough review of your teeth and mouth. Our clinic includes 3D digital imaging technology and the latest innovations. We offer Invisalign and a variety of different types of braces and orthodontic treatments.
Our team is dedicated to accurately assessing your orthodontic issues and providing customized treatment to address your goals and help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile. We strive to offer you the best treatment options for your specific issue and your lifestyle. Schedule a free consultation with Murphy Orthodontics to get started. You can also contact us if you have any questions about the orthodontic treatment we offer.